1991 Ibanez S540LTD

This was my second Ibanez.  It was called an S540LTD.  The S designation stood for Sabre, due to the profile of the body (arched on both sides) that makes it somewhat like a sword.  I think this guitar was made out of mahogany, so the overall guitar was medium in weight.

At the time, I was still into Yngwie and was getting into Stevie Ray Vaughan, and I was intrigued by the Fender Lace Sensor pickups which were actually two pickups in a single housing.  This one sported a blue-gold dually neck pickup, which was a blue pickup on one side for humbucking sounds, and a gold pickup on the other side for fat single coil sounds.  It sounded pretty good.

The middle pickup was the stock single coil.

I was also into Dimebag and Nuno Bettencourt, so I wanted to try the Lawrence L-500XL bridge pickup.  This pickup was very hot, and really got the tone of those two guitarists.  I bought it back when Stewart MacDonald was selling these pickups (they no longer do).  As legend goes, that's also where Dimebag got his from.

I later sold this guitar.

Comments

Popular Posts