1972 Fender Stratocaster

The first guitar I ever owned was a 1972 Fender Stratocaster.  My dad bought it for me back around 1979, along with a Peavey Classic 120 2x12 combo, which was my rig until 1985.

My dad bought it from Bryan Aoyagi, who at the time was working at Easy Music Center when they were owned by Servco and located in Mapunapuna.  Bryan has been a long time friend and I will always be grateful for his advice and help all of these years.

The guitar was a 3-bolt, CBS headstock guitar, finished in transparent walnut (or doo-doo brown, as I disparagingly nicknamed it).  The neck had a maple fretboard.  I noticed there were some filled holes in the body prior to finishing, presumably knot holes in the alder.

Through the 80s, I learned all of my Yngwie and Randy Rhoads licks on it.  In order to hot rod it, as many players were doing back then, I added a Kahler and a DiMario HS-3 in the bridge position.

I played this guitar in my first band, Kid Knee and the Beans, with my older brother and his friends, when I was 13.  I played it all through high school in a band called Traxx with Terrence Kamisato, Milton Kanamu and Chad Ikezawa, and then later with a band called Circuit with Ryan Ogasawara, Gary Kamisato, Robert Bento and Reid Nakamura.

At this point, my guitar looked like this (this was Circuit, me in the center, with drummer Bob holding the neck).  This is the only pic I have of this guitar.


I had taken that guitar apart and put it back together so many times, in an effort to learn about how guitars are constructed.  It was a valuable tool to learn about guitar construction, but I ended up destroying it.  I removed all of the finish from the body, and defretted the neck.  I ended up selling these pieces at a Musician's Swap Meet in the early 90s, and I've always missed that guitar.

It was a great guitar, super light and high quality, not terms normally associated with CBS Fender guitars in the 70s.

I found this picture on the internet, it's very close to what my guitar looked like before the changes, except mine had white pickup covers and knobs.

Comments

Popular Posts