1988 Ibanez RG550

Back in the mid to late 80s, I was really into shredders like Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai, and it seemed like a lot of the big players back then were getting into Ibanez.  Vai had just come out with the Jem, and Gilbert was playing all sorts of RG models.  Most models were made in Japan at the time.

I purchased this made in Japan Ibanez RG550 back in 1987 from a mail-order (this was before there were online stores) called Rainbow Music.  It was pretty cool back then - if you got on their mailing lists, they would send you a xerox'd stock list, and you could order guitars.  I ordered this guitar, along with a Roland D-20 from Rainbow.  I don't think those guys are around anymore.

I later swapped out the pickups for DiMarzios and to be honest, I don't know what models they were.  But they were pink, like Vai's guitar!!  I also tricked out the knobs with these soft fluorescent knobs.  Hey, it was the 80s, what can I say?

This was my main guitar in the late 80s, when I played with Dogtooth Violet (mostly a UH dorm party band), and then Dok Rokter (with Jon and Anthony Morano, and a bass player named Eric).  Dok Rokter played at Club C5 when they were still on Hotel Street.  I also played this guitar when I first met my bass player friend Chris Deal.

I can't even remember who I sold this guitar to, but it is long gone.  The neck was really too skinny for me.  I've since learned that for shred guitar, you really don't need a thin neck with a flat radius.  I'm much more comfortable playing a neck that's a little fatter, with a medium radius.

Comments

Popular Posts